The principles of the reform process in BR is to transform
BR into a more commercial organization. This would result in a sustainable and
financially viable carrier and ensure less government interference in respect
of organizational and commercial decisions of BR. This would mean progressive
independence of BR from the Government.
- In the process of reform efforts, major achievements are:-
- Reduction of workforce from 58,000 to 38,000 (through voluntary
separation & natural attrition).
- Closure of a number of money losing branch lines, stations, sheds,
depots etc. and withdrawal of some non profitable passenger train services.
- Adoption of PSO principle for compensation by the government for running
services on social consideration, in place of open subsidy.
- Tariff fixation on commercial principle.
- Association of private sectors in different activities.